Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Swagbucks, or How I Earned $300 in Gift Cards in 4 Months

I thought everyone was crazy for "Swag-bucking" until a friend of mine told me she purchased all of her Christmas presents for her four children with her year's earnings from Swagbucks. I had to look into it after that testimonial!

I learned you can earn Swagbucks by using their search engine, taking surveys, using coupons on grocery items through their site, fulfilling tasks, taking educational quizzes about health issues, shopping through their site at one of many stores, interacting with ads, playing games, by trying new apps on my phone, watching movie ads on my phone through SwagBucks TV and EntertainNow TV, watching videos through the Swag Button, etc. Each Swagbuck was worth 1 penny.

I asked myself if I saw a penny on the ground would I pick it up. Yes, I would.

So I tried it..almost certain it would be a failure. I earned $25 in 10 days just running videos while I folded clothes, peeled vegetables, and cleaned rooms. Instead of listening to the radio, I let the videos play while I was cleaning the kitchen. I ran videos about the latest movies on my phone while waiting in the checkout lines or while riding as a passenger in a car. I reached over and clicked to the next video while walking on the treadmill. In other words, I don't let it take time away from my family or duties. I made Swagbucks fit into the things I already do.

Some of the videos I did not like at all, but I only had to watch 27-30 seconds for credit before it told me I could move on to the next. If I can not tolerate the 30 seconds, and there are those I refuse to watch based on their titles, I skip that set of videos and go to the next. Even better, I can give my opinion of the videos through their rating system.

Pennies add up fast.

From April to August, I made $300 in gift cards, and it was as easy as picking up pennies. Mostly, I ran the videos on my phone and computer while I was doing other things. I also used the search engine and shopped at stores I already shop at through their website. I also took a few surveys which led to manufacturers sending free products to our home for testing and reviews. One gave me $10 for the 5-minute review in addition to the $3 for the 10-minute survey in Swagbucks and the free product. I signed a nondisclosure agreement about the product.

Now, it isn't a lot of money, and I don't see how anyone can make a living off of it. However, it gives me some "fun money" to spend on extras or to help out with the weekly shopping. I have used gift cards to buy gifts for family members or like a "big coupon" to save off our grocery bill.

There was one unexpected bonus. I started ordering from Lowes, Sam's Club, Target, and Walmart online using their free shipping or in-store pickup so I could get the Swagbucks for my purchases. I am thankful to Swagbucks for getting me to finally try these convenient ways of shopping. It has been an incredible time saver!

If you decide to try Swagbucks, please use my referral link: www.swagbucks.com/refer/MamaSwag1992 I will earn 1 penny for every 10 cents you earn. Right now, I am saving Swagbucks to buy my boys more lumber. 

A word of caution: With this and other activities, in general, I encourage you to find ways to make it fit into your life. Be aware of how you are spending your time and be disciplined. Don't lose something far more valuable while going after a little extra cash.


I have several friends using the receipt apps where you earn money by scanning your receipts. There are a few and you can use them in conjunction with one another. Meaning, you can scan the same receipt into each app and earn money on it. I gave the tip to Joshua and pass my receipts to him.