Thursday, June 25, 2015

Interrupters or VIPs?

Most of my days are very full and fast paced. When someone interrupts me, I try to make sure I make eye contact while they are speaking to me and when I am speaking to them. This is a nonverbal way of relaying importance and value to your loved ones. If I am doing computer work, I close my computer. If I am building a livestock shelter, I put down my tools. 

If I am doing something I can't stop right away, I say something like, "Yiddee, I want to hear your story, but I can't stop or have my attention divided, or I might not have enough sunlight to finish. Please tell me again when we are back in the house. I will be able to give you my full attention then." Then I often set a timer in my phone to make sure I ask. Remembering details goes a long way with others because it shows you genuinely care.

When your children want to share something with you, it is important...every time. You don't have to understand all of the jibber jabber or care about what pony lives in what Duplo castle. The moment is bigger than that. It's about connecting with your child and communicating that what is important to them is important to you. This groundwork needs to be laid consistently for the teen and adult years. Just as you would want someone to give undivided attention to you, you should give the same courtesy to your child.