Tuesday, February 10, 2015

As Working for the Lord

Hobby farming is just one aspect of my life. I also homeschool five children, cook, garden, preserve my own foods, do laundry, run a kennel, handle farm sales, and try to make a pleasant home for my family. 

I embrace each part of my life and try to make the most of it by keeping in mind that I am a servant who has been entrusted with a portion. I will one day stand before my Lord and answer for what I have done with this portion. I will either show I was stagnant or had a loss or increase. I am not perfect in this, but here is a bit of how I approach life to keep menial tasks more interesting.

Housework. I often do it in spurts to keep it from being so overwhelming. I do 15 minutes at a time several times a day. I have also read books from professional cleaning services on how to maximize the use of tools and cleaners as well as maximize my time through efficiency. I know the difference between a cluttered home and a home in need of cleaning. I also know how keeping the clutter in check makes cleaning so much easier and faster. Keeping to the homeschool schedule keeps the house cleaner too. 

Cooking. I took that frequent task and made it more interesting by studying the chemistry of cooking, taking online cooking lessons from reknowned chefs, trying new cooking techniques, investing in higher quality kitchen tools, and purchasing tools with an interesting history or unique story. I applied my mind to the task and now my heart enjoys cooking so much more. My third born told me my cooking is so good that he is going to open a restaurant with my recipes and name them all after me. My daughters love learning from me which also makes it fun and rewarding. 

Laundry. Attitude makes a difference. I think of it as providing clean clothes for my active family to keep them covered and warm. I rejoice that I have a large and active family who can keep me washing two super sized loads of clothes daily. I have learned how to cut down on loads by minimizing usage. I enjoy how toned my arms are from hauling those heavy baskets of wet clothes to the clothesline. 

I installed two washing machines instead of having a dryer. I love being able to do two loads in the time it takes one load. When I fall behind, I can catch up quickly. I have been known to time myself at the clothesline to see if I can beat my previous times. Most of the time, the younger children hang them out since it is an easy task and they enjoy having the animals come say hi as they work.

Rough jobs. Overflowed toilet. Puke that almost made it to the trash can. I remind myself to be thankful I have the strength and ability to do it. I remind myself of Who I am doing it for and who it will bless. Then, I get to work, and get it done. I don't like to take breaks in jobs I don't enjoy because that will delay me in getting to the finish line. "The quickest way through it is to get to work doing it and work straight through it!" 

That is a little bit of how I try to approach the things I have to do as a stay at home mother. My attitude is not always perfect. However, when I keep my purpose and gratitude to the Lord in mind, it makes the hardest or most boring job go better. 

Colossians 3:23-24 Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving.