Saturday, December 06, 2014

Broadcast Gardening

 photo broadcastgarden_zps3ff3d948.jpg
picture taken early October

In the fall, I wanted to plant some winter greens for ourselves and livestock, but I had only an hour. I had been trying to get it done for a while. Brandon had tilled the garden earlier, but I didn't have a fence to keep the poultry out. My wonderful, supportive family came over and gave me a hand in putting up a quick fence made of pallets.  

After that was done, I had 10 minutes before my next commitment. Now, I do not like being late. It shows disregard to the person who has to wait on us, and Scripture says we are to value others more than ourselves. Being on time is a simple way I can honor God's request to love others. So, I only had TEN minutes. That was it! I asked the Lord to help me get my work done and keep my commitment.

I remembered reading about an older man who broadcast his seed in big beds instead of doing seed by seed in rows. People ran his idea down saying you wouldn't get as high of a yield and would not know seed germination rates because the seed was not neatly planted. Good points, but his method would let me reach my goal and keep my commitment. So, I tried it. It took me about five minutes to sow the entire garden! I walked away from it thinking, "Well, we'll see!"

It worked! We and our livestock are enjoying the fresh, organic produce right now! I am happy enough with the results that I will do it again! It's not as tidy looking as a row garden, but I am OK with that. I'll try to keep it straighter next time with better walking paths. For so much food coming from something with so little time investment, I am delighted and thankful!

You cause the grass to grow for the livestock and plants for man to cultivate, that he may bring forth food from the earth and wine to gladden the heart of man, oil to make his face shine and bread to strengthen man's heart. Psalm 104:14-15