Tuesday, September 09, 2014

Stay at Home Mothers: It's a Worthy Job

I was 19 when I asked the Lord, "What do you want me, Wendy, to do with my life?" One of my next Bible readings was:

Titus 2:4-5 That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, To be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed.

I have not regretted choosing to follow where the Lord led. His way is not a heavy yoke upon our necks, but gives us freedom to be and do more. I have had the joy of really knowing my children, seeing all of their firsts, teaching them how to read and homeschooling them until they could/can attend college, growing a garden and preserving organic vegetables, studying anything I chose or learning new skills, taking days off as I saw fit or needed, conducting my own experiments, running my own businesses, and still making my home a comfortable haven for my family. Seeking to obey the Lord and bring Him honor as a wife and a mother has brought me great joy and so much freedom! I am very humbled the blessings of this life are mine! 
"A housewife's work . . . is the one for which all others exist." 
C. S. Lewis 1966

“No occupation in this world is more trying to soul and body than the care of young children. What patience and wisdom, skill and unlimited love it calls for. God gave the work to mothers and furnished them for it, and they cannot shirk it and be guiltless.” 
― Isabella Macdonald Alden

“The woman who makes a sweet, beautiful home, filling it with love and prayer and purity, is doing something better than anything else her hands could find to do beneath the skies.” 
― J.R. MillerHome-Making